Zen. Soothing. Mystical. Meditative. All the most serene words in the world couldn’t begin to describe the effect of Asia’s most beautiful interiors. Whether it’s a monastery in Tibet, a coffee plantation in Java, or a Tadao Ando-designed house in Japan, each interior chosen for this book is remarkable not only for its aesthetics but for its spirit. Presented in two sublime volumes, these interiors have what it takes to transport you to a sacred place. Breathe deeply, delve in, and be inspired.
Countries covered: Indonesia, Philippines, Vietnam, Hong Kong, China, Japan, Tibet, Nepal, India, Sri Lanka, Myanmar, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Singapore, and Malaysia
– holy temples and Buddhist monasteries
– posh hotels and charming guest houses
– Balinease bamboo architecture
– Javanese coffee plantations
– modern contemporary houses in Japan designed by Shigeru Ban, Kengo Kuma, and Tadao Ando
– breathtaking garden designed by Sri Lankan architect Geoffrey Bawa
– a rice barge in Thailand constructed of golden teak
– a modern minimalist villa in Cambodia
– traditional Burmese wooden houses on stilts
– a high-rise apartment in Singapore
– a blue mansion in Malaysia
Swiss photographer Reto Guntli, based in Zurich, regularly travels the world shooting for international magazines. He has published numerous books and contributed to TASCHEN publications such as Inside Asia, Living in Japan, Living in Bali, Great Escapes Asia and Great Escapes Europe.
Sunil Sethi is a leading journalist, newspaper columnist, and television anchor based in India. His writings have appeared in a variety of publications around the world.