Weekends on the Road
The ultimate travel guide to the USA and Canada
To travel in North America is to face a delicious quandary: over these vast spaces with so many riches, from glittering cities to eccentric small towns and heart-stoppingly beautiful mountains and plains, how to experience as much as possible in limited time? The New York Times has the answer, offering up dream weekends with practical itineraries in its popular weekly 36 Hours column for nearly two decades.
In this fully revised and updated third edition of the best-selling USA e Canada volume, TASCHEN presents the best 150 weekend trips from across the continent. You’ll find marquee metropolises like New York, Montreal, and Los Angeles; world-famous natural wonders at Niagara Falls and the Grand Canyon; the hidden charm of Rust Belt cities like Duluth and Detroit, as well as 33 new stories including Anchorage, the Berkshires, Boulder, and many more.
• More than 5,400 hours worth of insightful itineraries to make the most of your stay
• Practical recommendations for more than 600 restaurants and 450 hotels
• Comprehensive revisions to all 130 itineraries
• New destinations including Downtown Miami, Oakland, Chattanooga, and more
• Color-coded tabs for each region
• Nearly 1,000 photos
• 33 new stories
• Detailed city-by-city maps that pinpoint every stop on your itinerary
“With pieces from some of the most experienced travellers and writers, everything worth knowing about a short trip in America is documented here in detail. Road trip, anyone?”
— Elle.com, London
Barbara Ireland, a writer and editor based in upstate New York, is a former deputy Travel editor and deputy Op-Ed page editor at The New York Times. While on the Times staff, she commissioned and edited many travel articles and wrote a few herself. She is a graduate of Cornell University and was a John S. Knight journalism fellow at Stanford University.