During the Chapel's construction between 1475 and 1481, a large rectangular hall covered by a long vault, Sixtus IV would never have imagined that it would house some of the most impressive expressions of Renaissance art, and become known all around the world as the place where the Conclave and other official Papal ceremonies are held, not to mention being decorated with one of the most famous pieces of art in the western art world. Having commissioned an elegant marble transenna which devides the room into two parts and the choir's balustrade, he was already beginning to show himself as being particularly sensitive to art. This sensitivity drove him to call upon the likes of some of the most famous artists of his time, such as Sandro Botticelli, Luca Signorelli, Piero di Cosimo, Perugino, Domenico Ghiralndaio and Pinturicchio - who between 1481 and 1483 painted the frescoes on the lateral walls and in front of the altar. In 1506Julius II took over the project to decorate the chapel and put his trust in Michelangelo, who, between 1508 and 1512, painted the vault with frescoes, and during the papacy of Paul III, he also frescoed the wall at the of the hall.
|Author||Caterina Cirri, Simona Ricci|
|Dimensions||cm 34,0 x 40,0|
|Language/s||Italian, English, Spanish, Portuguese|