Is it really worth being “a good little boy”? Always obeying his parents, always doing his homework and never arriving late? Or is there something more attractive about the brazen immoral luck of Jim, the “bad little boy” who always gets away with his misdeeds?
Mark Twain’s two short stories Story of the good little boy and Story of the bad little boy are retold in this book illustrated by Roger Olmos, whose masterful and ironic images lead us to reflect light-heartedly on the contradictions and contraindications of moral imperatives. Roger Olmos tells the opposite and parallel stories of the two children, and has them meet one another, in a book for all ages… after all, both of them live together inside us all.
Roger Olmos was born in Barcelona on the 23rd December 1975 and became interested in the world of illustration from a very young age. After finishing his studies, he started an apprenticeship as a scientific illustrator at the Dexeus Clinic, then he attended the Llotja Avinyó School of Arts and Crafts and turned to the illustration of children’s books. In 1999 he was selected at the Bologna Children’s Book Fair, where he met his first publisher. Since then he has illustrated more than eighty books with about twenty Spanish and international publishers. Lover of animals and activist, he has embraced a vegan lifestyle and has been working for years to promote with his art respect for the environment and all living creatures. He lives with three cats – one with three legs, one deaf and one blind with only half a jaw – and two dogs, a 19 year old arthritic one and a 12 year old big boy.
Awards and acknowledgments:
• In the years 1999, 2002 and 2005 he was selected for the Illustrator’s Exhibition at the Bologna Children’s Book Fair.
• Selected for The White Raven 2002 (Tío Lobo, kalandraka)
• Selected for The White Raven 2004 (El Libro de las Fábulas, Ediciones B)
• Menzione speciale White Ravens 2006, for La cosa che fa più male al mondo, OQO/#logosedizioni
• Premio Llibreter de Álbum Ilustrado 2006, for La cosa che fa più male al mondo, OQO/#logosedizioni
• Premio Lazarillo de Álbum Ilustrado 2008, for El príncipe de los enredos, Edelvives
• Premio 400Colpi, Torredilibri 2015, for Senzaparole, #logosedizioni
• Premio del Ministerio de Cultura de España al mejor libro ilustrado categoría infantil y juvenil 2016, for La leggenda di Zum
Books published by #logosedizioni: Calando, La capra matta, La cosa che fa più male al mondo, Cosimo, La leggenda di Zum, Rompicapo, Seguimi! (una storia d’amore che non ha niente di strano), Senzaparole (book and portfolio), The Story of the Good Little Boy / The Story of the Bad Little Boy (also available in Italian and Spanish), Una storia piena di lupi, Stop, Amigos, La Zanzara, Lucia, Lo struffallocero blu, La foca bianca (alco available in Special Edition) e Grindadráp.
|Dimensions||cm 19,0 x 24,0|